PVW-637 Camcorder Operation
Perfect Interface with PVV-3 By combining the Sony DXC-637 Color Video Camera and the Sony PVV-3 Betacam SP 2000PRO Recorder, you achieve an integrated camcorder, the Sony PVW-637. The PVW-637 provides excellent picture performance with highly enhanced operational features for high-quality picture acquisition. Excellent Picture Performance The DXC-637 camera head outputs component video signals as well as Y/C and VBS signals. Component recording eliminates cross color and cross luminance by recording the time-compressed chrominance signals (R-Y/B-Y) and the luminance (Y) signal on two separate tracks. Also, the use of high frequency FM carriers gives pictures with detailed luminance and chrominance information. Which means when the DXC-637 is directly connected to the PVV-3 via its 50-pin connector, the result is a highly advanced camcorder, one which brings together the intrinsic benefits of the superb picture quality of the DXC-637 and the natural picture reproduction of the PVV-3. Recorder Information on Viewfinder When the DXC-637 is docked to the PVV-3, the camera's electronic viewfinder, the DXF-601, displays status information and messages from the recorder. For instance, warning messages and information on the time code, audio level, remaining battery power and remaining tape time are displayed for the camera person's reference. Indeed this operational interface is so well integrated that the user could easily think that the DXC-637 and PVV-3 were originally designed as a one-piece camcorder.
NO TAPE SERVO
REC INHIBIT HUMID
LOW BATT. RF
BATT. END (Against the video head clogging,
TAPE NEAR END or a fault in the recording system)
TAPE END SLACK
CHECK REMOTE OXIDE TAPE (Against a wrong connection to the remote connectorof the PVV-3)
Compact and Lightweight Due to innovative Sony mechanical and electronic advances, the PVW-637 is remarkably small and lightweight. Its operating weight is approximately 8.2kg (1 8 lb 1 oz)-this includes the DXC-637 camera head, the PVV-3 Recorder Unit, VCL-916BYA lens, viewfinder, microphone, NP-1 B battery and videocassette.
Well-Balanced The PVW-637 is well-balanced with a low center of gravity The supplied extended carrying handle* provides security during transport and allows easy handling during low angle shooting. In order to accommodate various l.enses and battery systems, the shoulder pad of the DXC-637 can be adjusted forward and backward for optimal balance. 'This extended carring handle is supplied only with the PVW-637K or PVW-637L packages.
Low Power Consumption Owing to low power consumption totaling only 24W, one fully charged Sony NP-1 B battery gives continuous o eration for approximately 60 minutes.
Inherent, High Quality Picture Performance
CCD Technology-800TV lines, 63dB, F8.0 The DXC-637 is equipped with three 2/3-inch Interline- Transfer Hyper HADTM (Hole Accumulated Diode) CCD sensors, which result in its high sensitivity of F8.0, a high signal-to-noise ratio of 63dB and excellent horizontal resolution of 800TV lines. Improved electronic circuitry with excellent frequency response and advanced video processing circuitry also contribute to outstanding picture quality. Virtually no other production camera in this class offers this level of picture quality.
Low Smear Level The HAD sensor structure of the Hyper HAD sensor virtually eliminates the vertical smear phenomenon. Vertical smear is further reduced as a result of using the OCL (On-Chip-Lens) layer in the Hyper HAD sensor.
Reduced Aliasing The 2-dimensional optical low-pass filter of the DXC-637 considerably reduces aliasing.
Enhanced Vertical Definition System (EVS) The DXC-637 incorporates the Enhanced Vertical Definition System which achieves a remarkable vertical resolution of 450TV lines. Together with the improved horizontal resolution of the DXC-637, this function ensures incredibly clear and crisp pictures.
Developed for Optimum Image Capture While high picture quality is delivered by the superior performance of the Hyper HAD CCD sensor, a host of additional advanced features built into the DXC-637 further contribute to optimum picture acquisition in the most demanding of shooting environments. These state-of-the-art technologies are sure to satisfy the creative requirements of any user who needs superb images with the finest natural detail.
Clean Detail-improved Stepping Diagonal Edge Reduction The DXC-637 effectively reduces the jagged, unnatural appear on highly contrasted objects. This is achieved by circuitry which limits the detail signal to an appropriate level. The camera user is free to add any amount of detail signal for more natural edge correction.
DCC Plus-improved Dynamic Contrast Control (DCC) In a high contrast environment, clear pictures can be obtained by compressing the highlight signal. This is accomplished by using the Dynamic Contrast Control, which extends the dynamic range up to 600%. The DXC-637 provides users with two choices for the DCC function. One is a Conventional DCC (DCC Plus OFF), and the other is DCC Plus (DCC Plus ON). With the DCC Plus, chrominance (color) highlights are not lost, even after signal compression. Conventional DCC
Dual Pixel Readout (DPR) In a conventional camera, the use of electronic gain-up in low light conditions amplifies noise as well as the video signal. However, with the newly developed Sony Dual Pixel Readout (DPR), which utilizes the unique technology of CCD readout, it is now possible to increase the video level without increasing noise. By reading out the electronic charges of two pixels together, the video level is doubled (this is equivalent to a +6dB gain-up) without an increase in noise. Furthermore, Sony DPR is carefully designed to reduce the phenomenon of aliasing, which can cause a false image called moire. The DPR system can be used in combination with an electronic gain mode of +18dB, +24dB or +3OdB. In these modes, with DPR added, video levels equivalent to +24dB, +3OdB or +36dB electronic gain-up can be obtained respectively, while suppressing the noise level.
Hyper Gain System With the Hyper Gain mode switched on, the electronic gain-up value of the DXC-637 is increased to +3OdB. At the same time, the Dual Pixel Readout (DPR) syste the combined effect of the Hyper Gain system is equi at a much lower noise level that would traditionally accompany this increase. And, because of the quick set-up capabilities of the advanced Hyper Gain system, the operator never loses a shooting opportunity, even in extremely low-light situations such as only 1 lux illumination.
Three-Mode Matrix The DXC-637 features a three-mode matrix to provide alternative chroma saturation and hue parameters for different lighting conditions-STD (Standard), H.SAT (High Saturation) and FL (Fluorescent Light). The STD mode is used for ordinary shooting situations. When more colorful pictures are required, the H.SAT mode effectively enhances chroma. The FL mode improves skin tones when shooting under fluorescent light as it accurately corrects for the usual greenish cast.
Digital IE (image Enhancement) By adopting digital circuitry for Image Enhancement, the effects for outline compensation, spurious noise and aliasing of images are substantially reduced.
EZ Functions The DXC-637 is equipped with two types of convenient, quick set-up functions. This means that the operator can start shooting anytime, anywhere, with minimum fuss.
(1) EZ Mode The unique Sony EZ Mode ensures that the DXC-637 is instantly ready to capture any action. Before shooting, press the EZ mode switch and the settings for the main functions are instantly set to the standard or auto position. Thus the operator can be ready and waiting for every shooting opportunity. The DXC-637 has alternative EZ Modes-STANDARD and CUSTOM. When set to the CUSTOM EZ Mode, the operator can customize the value of some of the control items (marked as A in the table) for the EZ mode.
WHITE BALANCE ATW
LENS IRIS Auto iris
BAR/ CAM CAM
GAIN OdB/+9dB/+18dB (Can be switched manually)
DETAIL LEVEL Standard
IRIS MODE Standard
HYPER GAIN Off
DU L PIXEL READOUT (DPR) Off
AUTO EXPOSURE (AE) Automatically turned on from Fl 1 and over-
(2) EZ Focus The DXC-637 is equipped with another EZ function, EZ Focus. The EZ Focus Mode facilitates simple yet accurate focusing during shooting. By just pushing the EZ Focus button, the iris is automatically opened and the electronic shutter adjusts to obtain the correct light level. This function is based on the optical principle that focus can be more easily adjusted when the depth of field is reduced by fully opening the iris. * EZ Focus does not operate during recording.
Auto Tracing White Balance (ATW) As well as the conventional Auto White Balance for accurate color reproduction, the DXC-637 features a convenient Auto Tracing White Balance (ATW) function. This function automatically adjusts white balance as lighting conditions change. In the ATW Mode, the DXC-637 automatically senses any lighting change and adjusts its white balance according to the surrounding light source. This function is useful when shooting in rapidly changing lighting conditions (for example, when moving from an indoor to an outdoor location). In EZ Mode, the ATW Mode is automatically set to ON.
Three-Mode Auto Iris When a subject is shot in a back-lit situation or is brightly lit against a dark background, the subject often appears either too dark or too bright. The DXC-637 is equipped with a three-mode auto iris system--STD (Standard), BACK L (Back Light) and SPOT L (Spot Light) modes. This means that the DXC-637 can provide an appropriate luminance level in every situation. STD Mode provides the same function as the conventional auto iris. In a back-lit situation, BACK L Mode reproduces the subject a little brighter than in Standard Mode. When shooting a spotlit subject, a picture with a reduced luminance level is obtained by using the SPOT L Mode.
Programmable Gain The DXC-637 provides precise selection of gain values: -3dB, OdB, 3dB, 6dB, 9dB, 12dB, 18dB and 24dB. Its programmable gain mode allows any three of these values to be assigned to the three position LOW/MID/HIGH switch, thus making the camera ready for any shooting situation.
Advanced Menu In addition to the conventional MENU screen, as in the DXC-537A, the DXC-637 has an ADVANCED MENU screen which gives the user enhanced control of the camera functions. The operator can change the initial settings of the unit's main functions according to his or her particular needs.
Item Selection () shows the initial setting.
MARKER: To change the type of center marker/safety zone. (CENT/80%)
ZEBRA: 70% or 100% (70%)
TONE: l kHz audio reference signal on/off (ON)
DCC+: DCC Plus on/off (ON)
EVS: EVS on/off (OFF)
VF S DTL: VF Super Detail on/off (ON)
EZ MODE: STANDARD or CUSTOM (STD)
BARS: SMPTE or SNG (SMPTE)
L.L. IND Low light indicator (ON)
IRIS IND: F-number Indicator on/off (ON)
GAIN IND: Display of current gain selection (ON)
FILTER IND: Filter indicator on/off (ON)
MIC: Camera Mic Check on/off (ON)
AUDIO IND: Audio level indicator of PVV-3 (ON)
TAPE: Display of remaining tape of PVV-3 (ON)
TC: Display of time code information of PVV-3 (ON)
ID IND: Display of Camera ID Number with color bar (ON)
ID SET: Setting of Camera ID
Variable Speed Electronic Shutter The DXC-637 has a variable speed electronic shutter which captures blur free, clear pictures of fast moving objects.
Shutter Speeds OFF, 1/1 00, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 112000 (second)
Monitor Out Function The DXC-637 is equipped with a MONITOR OUT connector (Phono). Via this connector, the user can check the shooting conditions by displaying a color picture on a connected external monitor. This is in addition to the image displayed on the unit's viewfinder.
Clear Scan (CLS) The DXC-637 features the Sony Clear Scan TI function which enables the user to shoot computer displays without the appearance of horizontal bands and flickering. It does this by precisely selecting a shutter speed which matches the scanning frequency of the computer display. Shutter speeds range from 60.4Hz to 200.3Hz and are selectable in 183 steps within this range
Built-in 1 kHz Audio Reference An audio signal generator is employed in the DXC-637 to supply a 1 kHz audio reference signal at the same time as a color bar signal. This audio reference signal can be switched on or off, using the control menu displayed in the viewfinder.
Date and Time Superimposition With the DXC-637, you can superimpose the date and time on the video signal when the clock switch is ON. This information is also displayed in the viewfinder.
DXF-601 Viewfinder The newly developed DXF-601 is a high quality 1.5-inch viewfinder which can display various operating status indicators and menu-control capabilities as well as high- quality images. Special attention was paid to the ergonomics of this viewfinder to ensure that it is easy and comfortable to operate.
(1) Reliable, Ergonomic Design Built with a diecast aluminum body, the DXF-601 is ruggedly constructed and is designed to be extremely user-friendly. For example, the viewfinder's position can be horizontally adjusted to accomodate the operator's preference. The large diameter eye cup not only eases eye strain but also simplifies focusing. A wide range of diopter adjustments (-3 to 0) is provided to compensate for differences in eye sight. Furthermore, internal indication lamps for REC/TALLY, BATTERY, SHUTTER and GAIN UP are situated close to the viewfinder for easy viewing. An external REC tally lamp is also positioned where it can be easily checked by the operator during shooting. Approximately one second after power is turned on, the viewfinder is ready for operation.
(2) High Resolution, Sharp Image-VF Super Detail The CRT of the DXF-601 viewfinder achieves a remarkable 600TV lines of horizontal resolution. An extremely sharp image is provided by the VF Super Detail circuit built into the DXC-637 Camera, together with phase-corrected peaking circuitry located in the DXF-601 itself. The VF Super Detail circuit in the camera, a 2-H delay line type of vertical detail circuit, provides a vertical detail signal which is added to the viewfinder's video signal. This VF Super Detail function makes it easier for the operator to achieve precise focus. In addition, the advanced phase-corrected peaking circuit increases horizontal detail in the viewfinder signal, balancing level and phase. A control on the front of the viewfinder provides fine adjustment of the peaking level.
(3) Recording Time Display Using the selector on the side panel of the DXC-637, the duration of a recording can be checked in the viewfinder in two ways. In TTL (Total) mode, accumulated shooting time from the start of the tape is displayed. This is stored in memory, even if the camera's power is turned off. In DUR (Duration) mode, the recorded time for the current shot is individually displayed.
(4) Camera Mic Check There is an indication in the viewfinder's display to show whether or not a connected microphone is working correctly. A musical icon appears when an appropriate level of sound is received via the MIC IN connector of the DXC-637.
(5) Battery Voltage Display When the voltage of an attached battery becomes lower than 1 1V, the voltage figure is automatically displayed in the viewfinder. When the PVV-3 used with the Anton/ BauerO Logic SeriesO Digital Battery* is connected, the remaining battery capacity is shown as a percentage (%). * The Anton/Bauer ORSP400A Mounting Plate is required to attach the Logic Series Digital Battery onto the PVV-3
(6) Color Temperature Display When the Auto White Balance feature is activated on the DXC-637, completion is always confirmed, along with the color temperature, in the viewfinder.
(7) Safety Zone and Center Marker The DXC-637 can display a safety zone and center marker in the viewfinder. This allows the operator to accurately frame objects as they are seen on monitors. The safety zone can indicate either 80% or 90% of the viewfinder frame. Mode selection of safety zone only, safety zone with center marker, or both indicators off, is also possible.
(8) Two Types of Zebra Pattern The DXC-637 offers two different level setting of the zebra pattern: 70% or 100%. At the lower setting, the stripes appear at 70% video level-this is useful to achieve correct exposure of flesh tones. At the 100% setting, the stripes appear at peak white level.
Adjustable Shoulder Pad The position of the shoulder pad of the DXC-637 can be adjusted forward or backward to provide the operator with a comfortable, well-balanced camera docked with a VTR or a camera adaptor.
Other Features .Supplied detachable microphone .Built-in character generator . Built-in SMPTE color bars generator . Dual white balance memories for each of 4 filter wheel positions . White shading compensation . MIC LOW CUT for audio noise reduction . Flare compensation . Genlock capability . 2-line image enhancer . External DC input (with optional CA-537) . Audio monitor jack (with optional CA-537) . Intercom jack (with optional CA-537) . VTR select switch (with optional CA-537) . Connection with S-VHS Recorder Units via the CA-512 or CA-513 camera adaptors.
Along with its superb picture quality and excellent operational functions, the DXC-637 is extremely versatile and is equally suited to field or studio applications. Its modular design enables the user to configure the camera with system components appropriate for every situation. Interfacing the DXC-637 and these components is easily accomplished via the 50-pin connector. As well as the high quality camcorder configuration with the PVV-3 Betacam SP 2000PRO Recorder, the DXC-637 can be assembled with the Sony EVV-9000 Video Recorder to form a highly portable, easy to operate Hi8ll camcorder A CA-537 Camera Adaptor is also available for use in stand-alone and multiple camera systems. The CA-537 has a 26-pin connector which enables it to interface not only with a variety of portable VTRs but also with the Sony CCU-M5 or CCU-M7 for color matching between cameras. The output signal from this connector is Y/R-Y/B-Y component as well as VBS, Y/C, and RGB form. Furthermore, the DXC-637 supports conventional CA-325A/325B Camera Adaptors for special operations such as teleconferencing, image capture and industrial applications. With the DXC-637, superb picture quality is assured in virtually any shooting application.
DXC-637 Video Camera Head I
Image device: Interline-Transfer 3-sensor CCD
Optics: Fl.4 rnedium index prism system
Picture elements Total: 818 x 513 (H/V) Effective: 768 x 493 (HN)
Sensing area: 8.8 x 6.6mm (equivalent to a 213-inch picture tube)
Built-in fillers: 1: 3,200K 2: Cross (3,200K) 3: 5,600K 4:5,600K . '/is ND
Lens mount: Bayonet mount
Signal system NTSC color system
Scanning system: : 1 interlaced, 525 lines, 60 fields/sec
Horizontal frequency: 15 734kHz
Vert cal frequency: 59.94Hz
sync system: Internal or external with a VBS or BS signal
Horizontal resolution: 800TV lines
Vertical resolutions 400TV lines (without EVS) 450TV lines (with EVS)
Minimum illumination: Ix at F1.4, Hyper Gain (DPR*,3OdB) 1.5lx at Fl.8, Hyper Gain (DPR*+3OdB)
Sensitivity: F8.0 at 200OIx (3,200K, 89.9% reflectance, typical)
Gain selection -3dB,OdB,+3dB,+6dB,,gdB +12dB, +18dB, DPR*+lBdB, +24dB, DPR* +24dB, Hyper GAIN (DFIR*+3OdB)
Shutter speed se action OFF, 1/1 00, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000 a
Clear scan selection 60.4 to 200.3 (1 83 steps)
Video output Camera head
BNC connector: VBS: 1.OVp-p, sync negative
26-pin connector of CA-537 docked to DXC-637:
VBS: 1.0Vp-p, sync negative
y 1.0Vp-p, sync negative
Y/C. (Y) 1,OVp-p, sync negative (Cl 286mVp-p (burst leve)
Signal/Noise Ratio 63dB (typical)
Registration: 0,05% (all zones, without lens)
Geometric distortion: Below measurable levels
INTERFACEI DIN 50 pin VIDEO OUT: BNC type
VF: DIN 6-pin
MONITOROUT: -Phone type
Power requirements: DC 12V
Power consumption 12W (without VF/CA-537)
Operating temperature: -10-C to 45-C (14-F to 113'F)
Storage temperature: -20-C to 60-C (-4-F to 140@F)
Mass: -Approx. 2.3kg (5 lb 1 oz, for camera head only) Approx. 3.6kg (7 lb 15 oz, with the CA-537)
DPR is equivalent to +6dB gain up.
DPR+24dB: equivalent to +3OdB
DPR+ 1 8dB equivalent to +24dB
Hyper Gain (DPR+3OdB) equiva ant to +36dB
Power consumption: 24W (wil OXF-6GI Viewfinder)
Mass: 8,2kg (18 lb 1 oz) (incl. DXF-601 viewfinder, videocassette carrying handle)
Operating time: 60 minutes (with an NP- 1 B)
Picture tube 1.5-inch monochrome
REC/TALLY indicator BATT indicator
GAIN UP indicator
Resolution. 600 lines
Power requirements DC 12V
Power consumptions 2.lW
Mass: 0.6kg (1 lb 5 oz) Dimensions: Approx 182(W) x 68(H) x 205(D)mm (7 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 8 1/8 inches)
Design and specifications subject to change without notice. Anton/Bauer products may not be available in some areas. 'Anton/Bauer" and 'Logic Series' are registered trademarks of Anton/Bauer Corporation. per HAD', 'HAD sensor", "Clear Scan", "HiB' and "Betacam SP 2000PRO" are trademarks of Sony Operations 'Sony" and "Betacam SP" are registered tademarks of Sony corporation.
Return To Home Page